The Guardian

Back to Heroes Main > The Guardian

Real Identity: James Jacob "Jim" Harper
Affiliation(s): Project Cadmus and Bowhunter Security
Appearances: Independence Day Part One, Part Two, Agendas, Auld Acquaintance, Salvage, Private Security, Overwhelmed, Og Htrof Dna Reuqnoc!, Kaerb Ym Traeh!, and Death and Rebirth
Appearances (Comics): Players Chapter Two, Players Chapter Three, Players Chapter Four, Players Chapter Five, Players Chapter Six, Cherry Gig, Hot Mess: Memory One, Ominous Tidings, Foreign Affairs, Metallic Aftertaste, Last Rights, and Yesterday's Children: Memory Six
Appearances (Audioplays): The Prize
Powers/Skills: Above Average Physical Attributes, Armed Combat, Unarmed Combat, and Law Enforcement
Voiced By: Crispin Freeman

Jim Harper is a clone of the original Speedy, Roy Harper. He was force-grown to be older than the clone of Speedy but he was cloned second and is the younger of the two. Both were unaware they were clones. The clone of Speedy believed the Guardian was indeed his father's brother. Harper eventually became the hero known as the Guardian.

Two years later, Guardian became employed by a genetics lab called Project Cadmus in Washington D.C. as chief of security. His primary task was to keep the real Cadmus, an underground facility, a secret. Ultimately, Guardian must seek counsel with Cadmus' chief officer, Dr. Desmond, before authorizing major decisions. Desmond, likewise, used a G-Gnome to suppress Guardian's will under the guise of instant telepathic communication. One year later, on July 4th, Guardian was notified of an intrusion on Sub Level 26 and took a squad of Genomorph 0777's with him. He discovered the intruders were Robin, Aqualad, and Kid Flash, whom he recognized. Leery of their affiliation with the Justice League, Guardian advised caution in dealing with the trio. Desmond, however, had to answer to the Light and had Superboy neutralize them.

When the sidekicks and Superboy escaped, Guardian put together a plan to cut them off at Sub Level 1. Dubbilex revealed his intentions to Superboy and had the mind control lifted off of Guardian. As he came to and realized what was going on, Desmond appeared and ingested a serum from Project Blockbuster. Guardian was quickly beat unconscious. When he came to, he discovered that Desmond was defeated, the Cadmus building was demolished, and the Justice League arrived. He told his version of the story to the League. The Cadmus Board of Directors then appointed Guardian as the new chief officer. On his first day, Guardian appointed Dr. Spence as acting chief scientist and declared no more G-Gnomes would be used to suppress wills nor would there be any more secret breeding projects.

On November 25th, the Guardian became increasingly concerned and annoyed with the ongoing case of missing Genomorphs. When Superboy arrived and accused Cadmus of creating another Super-Clone, Guardian reminded him all cloning projects were shut down after July 4th. Guardian granted Superboy full access to the facility while he continued to look for Genomorphs. Their investigations converged when Guardian was led down to Genomorph City. On January 1st, the Guardian was neutralized. He stood motionless as the Light took what they wanted from Project Cadmus.

On March 8th, 18:46 Eastern Standard Time (EST), Team Year One, Guardian concluded another sweep of Project Cadmus with Red Arrow. They used the latest Wayne Ecogram unit to methodically checked all 52 sub-levels, what remained of Genomorph City, and the secret freezer where Match was found. Guardian also received confirmation he was a clone of Speedy. He attempted to comfort Red Arrow with the news as it was a burden they could share. He aided the Justice League and the Team in the search for the original Roy Harper. By November 1st, Guardian took shifts in shadowing Lex Luthor in an attempt to get a lead. After the search was called off, Guardian continued helping Red Arrow until October 26th, Team Year Two. He tried to advise Red Arrow suspend searching as well and "get back to his life" but Arrow's only purpose in life was to find Speedy. In Team Year Three, the Justice League Superboy, Guardian, and Dr. Spence liberated the Genomorphs from Project Cadmus and relocated them to Geranium City to build a life of their own.

Jim Harper eventually retired to find himself and donated his last suit to the Hall of Justice's Museum of Justice. Soon after, on December 1st, Team Year Five, Harper was in Suicide Slum with Black Lightning when a spherical field was generated around most of Metropolis. He tagged along with Black Lightning to investigate an alien probe and shut it down. After they failed to do so, they became occupied with breaking up a band of rioters outside Whelmed Electronics. Once they were done, they returned to Batgirl's position but were unable to locate any sign of Match. On February 13th, Team Year Six, Harper took part on an intervention for Red Arrow. He stated the original was likely dead since Cadmus policy required deletion of original source material and tried to appeal to Red by asking him to live on for the original's sake. Harper later gave his blessing to Mal Duncan, who had taken up the mantle of the Guardian, and began mentoring him. He attended Wally West's funeral in June.

On August 01, 10:38 EDT, Team Year Eight, Dick Grayson contacted the three Harpers for help dealing with a meta-human trafficking ring in Star City. In exchange, Grayson had to help out with a Bowhunter Security gig. They had to guard a shipment of Goode Goggles. They ended up chasing after Brick and his henchmen on the Pacific Coast Highway and almost rammed into a time traveling Metropolis school bus possessed by Klarion. Jim Harper admitted private security was more exciting than he thought. That night, he suited up as Guardian and the four took down the ring. On February 14, 20:16 CST, Team Year Nine, Jim Harper was in Geranium City hanging out with Amanda Spence outside a cafe while Superboy gave Forager a tour. By the next year, Jim Harper owned a quarter of Bowhunter. On February 23, 11:19 PST, Team Year Ten, Jim and Roy Harper and Harlan Matthews guarded Wayne Tech hardware reserved for a skyscraper project. They were attacked by a Task Force X squad and Matthews was kidnapped. Later that day, the Harpers went to a barbecue at Lucas Carr's house in Happy Harbor. Jim Harper didn't think lightning would strike twice and the Wayne Tech hardware would be safe.

Jim Harper accepted an invitation to be part of the Justice League's reserve system as Guardian. He was assigned the designation E-16. On September 16, he attended Conner Kent and M'gann M'orzz's wedding in Happy Harbor. On November 09, he was part of a Bowhunter detail in Star City with the other Harpers and Matthews. They were to protect Queen Perdita Vladek while she was in town. At S.T.A.R. Labs, they were attacked by armored individuals. Jim Harper performed Maneuver Seven and gave Oliver Queen a boost. Vladek was kidnapped while Oliver Queen, Dinah Lance, Dr. Roquette, and bodyguard Denny were poisoned and left comatose. On November 10th, 18:02 PST, Matthews and Jim Harper watched Catco's coverage of the incident on the former's phone. Matthews' became worried it made Bowhunter look bad. Harper quipped that was so not the point. On November 12, 09:05 PST, Dr. Roquette regained consciousness. Jim Harper quickly told her she was in a coma but would be okay.